Leslie and Keeping Austin Weird...by the Letter E

I was saddened today when I discovered that an Austin icon had passed away early this morning. Any visitor to my home town of Austin, TX would have seen him as he frequented the downtown area that was such a tourist destination. Many people came from everywhere just to see HIM. You couldn't miss him, as he was the only dude with pink hair and a scruffy beard wearing a tiara, a tutu, or 'booty' shorts and stripper heels. He was truly one of a kind and I think many may have secretly envied him because of his ability to express himself so freely simply because he could. He often touted that people often have a tendency to take themselves too seriously and life is a dance and should be enjoyed. He dared to enjoy his life, the world, and the people around him. Always willing to stop and take photos with tourists, and always able to talk your ear off.

I encountered Leslie when I was in college and I had to use the city bus system to get through campus because parking was horrendous. I hopped on the bus and as we rode through the city at one stop he boarded the bus carrying a bicycle wheel and half of the bicycle frame. The bus driver asked him what happened to his bike. As he took a seat next to me he began telling us the story about how he had parked it outside next to a pole and locked it up only to have someone steal his front tire. Those that knew Leslie knew that his bike was his baby. I'm not sure where he'd gotten it, but it was his and he was often seen riding it all around Austin wearing no less than a thong and woman's bra or tank top. He told us the story of how his bike was stripped for parts, and how disappointed he was with the police because they couldn't do anything to help him recover it. Then the next thing I knew I was listening to this "crazy" man discuss city politics and discovered that he was well versed on the ins and outs of the Austin political system. This was the first time he had entertained thoughts of running for Austin Mayor. So I learned a lot that day about freedom of expression and thought to myself that I live in an amazing country. One that allows a free colorful spirit like Leslie to voice his opinions, wear what he wants, and even allow him to run for public office if he chose to do so. Great country indeed.

Today Austin just got a little less weird...

Leslie Cochran, you will be missed...Enjoy your golden tiara...keep Heaven weird.


This memory was brought to you today...by the Letter E.
Seize the day...because tomorrow is not promised.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ad Agencies and Social Media: Is there a disconnect?

Ello.co : A welcome change to the social media landscape

Skype...by the Letter E