2017 review (finally)

Where do I begin.

2017 was a year of personal achievements, goals met, and of flawless execution. Ok maybe some of it was a little flawed, but I tried. It felt like a miracle unfolding right in front of me. Everyday it seemed as if I were learning something new to take me to another level of understanding in my world. Up to this point my world had consisted of constant worry and self doubt on whether or not I was ever going to be able to achieve my goal of graduating from college. I had people around me telling me, you don't need college, you are already doing what people go to college to learn how to do. I started my own business and it was doing well and I always had work to do and people to help.

I was doing ok except for the fact that I had a promise to fulfill and that nagged at me. A long time ago a 10 year old me had a conversation with my Mother, who confided in me that she didn't finish school because she didn't think girls were allowed to go beyond a certain point. So she stopped attending after 8th grade and stayed home to help my Grandmother around the house after the death of my Grandfather. My Mother was smart, athletic, and the kindest person I have ever known. To hear that she didn't have the opportunity to move beyond a middle school education made me determined to succeed for her. I promised her that I would graduate from not only high school, but also college. I said just watch, I'm going to do it for you.


On May 11, 2017, just a few days away from Mother's Day, she sat in the audience with my oldest Sister, my Father, and my husband and children and watched me walk into the auditorium at The University of Texas at Dallas and take my seat on the stage.  I surprised them all and did not tell them that I had been selected to speak to my graduating class. I spoke about determination and what it means to be successful. I talked to my peers about how life isn't always going to be a fair and happy place and about controlling our own methods of action and reaction to circumstances around us. I hope that they took my message to heart. I also spoke to my Mother and Father, who worked so hard to keep us all fed and clothed and who never stifled my creativity or dreams along the way. They didn't have easy childhoods and had to work hard in the fields picking cotton, or produce from the time they were very little just to help provide for their families. They wanted better for me and my sisters, and tried very hard to encourage our educational goals. I was the first in our family to graduate from college. The moment was truly magical for me. I hope I made them proud.



After everyone went back to Austin, the next morning I found myself sitting in my living room in quiet reflection with my newly minted degree "holder" in hand. The gold letters across the hunter green leather holder reflected in the morning sun. It was mine. I did that. Years and years of hard work, of homelessness, of late nights juggling diaper changes, children, and research papers all came to a head. I took a selfie to mark that quiet moment and posted it to Instagram. Then I began to sob. I cried for a good 30 minutes thinking about the struggles I encountered since 1993 when I graduated from High School. I thought about the people who propelled me forward with their negative comments telling me that I shouldn't even think about having another child...or that I didn't need a college degree. They lit the fire in me. I heard them, defied them, and did the impossible. I had my family of 6 children, I had my own business helping people, I passed every class with straight A's (well except Persuasion...I made a C...thanks Professor Bell ha ha), and through it all I never let them see me sweat. I proved to myself that I was worthy and able to do anything I set my mind to. So those tears rolled down my cheeks in silent vindication that I knew what I was doing.

I discovered that I was a motivating force in 2017. I had friends and family who made the conscious decision to finish their own degrees, or begin their educational journey outright because of my experience. That brings so much joy to my heart as lifting up others is something that my Mother instilled in me and something that I will always strive to do. Imagine what would happen if we all did this.

So this blog serves as a reminder for me and whoever discovers this long after I am gone. May it fill you with inspiration, motivation, and determination to know that you can accomplish anything. It is all about how you choose to think and approach your problems. Success isn't just defined by achievement, but by interactions with one another and by becoming an advocate for love. Make good choices, work hard, be kind, and reap great rewards.

Now...on to Grad School.

My Mother, My Son, me, and My Father

~E



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ello.co : A welcome change to the social media landscape

Ad Agencies and Social Media: Is there a disconnect?

Online Grammar repost...by the Letter E