Filling in the gaps...by the letter E

Working is never an easy task when you have children. It's almost as if everything you do requires double the effort to get things done. So why I decided to take on not only my five kids, finishing college, learning all I can about social media, and looking for a job is beyond anything that a normal person might consider sane. I manage the delicate balance well...and by well I mean "Well... Some days are better than others". Now when a potential employer looks at my resume the first thing they usually notice is the gaps in between jobs. There are quite a few of them and they have all happened for various reasons but all have been an opportunity for me to learn something new.  I haven't been stagnant by any means.  So here's a quick run down of what I've learned and discovered during those 'gaps'.

1. I've discovered that there are more people at mother's day out with high level degrees that have admitted to wasting their parent's money on college when all they have ever wanted to do was get married and stay home to raise a family.  I know several.

2.   There is only 1 use for the loud electronic 'rolling ball' that I've given my baby, but about 200 for the box it came in.   Next time I'm saving my money and just buying a cardboard box.

3. I discovered my love of art.  I avoided it for many years because my father is an artist and I never thought that I'd ever want to be like my dad.  I discovered that it is meditative to pick up a pencil and paper and sketch.  Well, for me it is.

4.  I have learned that no matter how many times you tell a child no, they will continue to whine until they get what they want or something close to it.  I have also learned that the same thing applies to spouses.

5.  Youtube has everything you've ever learned in Kindergarten and then some.  Look something you want to learn up and you'll find a tutorial.

6.  Technology is my friend.  The different sites I've spent time on I've learned a lot from and the social media sites have a lot of people to learn from.  Follow them, they'll lead the way.  Digital media, Social media, webpage building, blogging, tweeting, Facebooking, networking.  Always moving always learning.

7.  Technology is my enemy.  Because I have learned a lot from the internet and online I have a hard time expressing to potential employers that I have these skills that I've never really applied anywhere but online for personal enrichment.   I just need that one employer to give me a shot.

8.  I've gone to school and realized that much like Matt Damon's character in Good Will Hunting,  I could have saved 4,000 a semester and just gone to the library or in my case, the internet.  I could have saved tons of money, and patience trying to learn from professors that don't really enjoy their work but like taking home a paycheck.  I think in order to teach someone something and teach them to be passionate about it...YOU must first be truly madly deeply in love with the subject first.  I have had Professors like that...The difference is enlightening.

9.  Volunteering is love expressed through work.  I found some things I was passionate about in every new city I lived in or had to move to and threw myself into volunteerism.  The people you meet and the ones you help fill your spirit up in ways unimagined. Everyone should do it.

10.  I've learned to be humble.  Here recently when both my spouse and I were out of work, trying times lay ahead of us.  The unknown is pretty scary and when you're there you start to think back at all of the trivial things you've done or purchased over the years and get a real sense of who you are as a person.  Sometimes even though you've done everything right...bad things happen and you have to dust yourself off and find a new road to follow.  This has been the biggest lesson of all.

And this...is my new road.
This blog was brought to you today by the Letter E...seize the day!
Elaine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ad Agencies and Social Media: Is there a disconnect?

Ello.co : A welcome change to the social media landscape

Skype...by the Letter E